Bull Run Run
You are here:
- BRR Home »
This page has not been updated for 2017 other than the date above
Things to Do
- Historical Entry Data
- Progression of Applicants, Entrants, and Wait Lists
- 2012 Runners' Reasons for Withdrawal
|Application Opens||February 1, 2016 at 9 am|
|Scholarship Applications Due||February 5, 2016|
|Application Closes||February 8, 2016 at 9 pm|
|Lottery||February 10, 2016|
|Pay Entry Fee or Join Wait List Opens||February 12, 2016 at 9 am|
|Deadline to Pay Entry Fee or Join Wait List (for initial entrants)||February 20, 2016 at 9 pm|
|Entry Reopens to All||February 24, 2016 at 9 am|
|First day wait listers may pay||March 1, 2016|
|First move from wait to entrants list||March 7, 2016|
|Last day for any refund||April 1, 2016 at 9 pm|
|Entry Closed||April 1, 2016 at 9 pm|
|Entry Fee: $95|
Maximum Entrants: 350
Entry is closed: No more withdrawals or refunds. The entrants list is final. No one may join the entrants list now. No "jump-ins" at check in.
Lottery: On February 10, the Dow Jones Industrial Average closed down at 15,914.74. That makes our number 474 and we count down. Lottery Results
Entry is limited to 350. You must be at least 18 years old when you enter to run.
We will use the same system for entry as we have used for the last seven years. Entry is a two-step process. You fill out the application on one occasion, then you come back later to pay. If too many people apply, we will have a lottery to see who may pay to enter the race and who will have to apply for the wait list. (We did not need the lottery for 2009, but we have needed it ever since.) Prior entry data
Our system allows you to enter calmly without rushing to the post office or hitting the refresh button constantly. Our system does, however, require that you come to our Web site twice. Coming back a second time is your contribution to a fair, orderly system.
The entry schedule is at right. If you want to enter, you must register during the initial application period (February 1, to February 8, at 9 pm). Although we don't suggest leaving it until the last minute, there is no benefit for registering early within that period.
Entry, including joining the wait list is online. The registration fee is $95. The cost of processing your credit card payment is included in the entry fee. All payments are through PayPal where you can use a PayPal account or a credit card. There is no paper option to enter or pay.
Entry is not transferable. You may not sell or give your bib number to another runner. If you transfer your number, you and your replacement will be barred from participating in future Bull Run Runs. The "bandit" runner will be disqualified.
You may receive a refund of your entry fee if you withdraw by the deadline at right. We hold back $15 from any refund. Please see the important conditions on refunds.
Again this year, we continue the VHTRC tradition of offering entry fee scholarships to deserving runners. These scholarships are based on need, not speed. There will be four scholarships. The VHTRC will pay the base entry fee less $10 for scholarship recipients. (In effect, the scholarship is a credit of $85) Scholarship recipients must pay for any meals or lodging. Scholarship recipients receive no special treatment in the entry process other than the reduced entry fee. We do not disclose the names of scholarship recipients, and they are treated like all other entrants. To apply for a scholarship, contact an RD before February 5 . (Just let the RD know you are interested in applying. You will be sent more information about how to apply.)
Before you Enter
This event is not for everyone. Before you enter the Bull Run Run, you should know that:
- Parking is difficult: Parking will require a ¼ mile to a ½ mile walk to the start and from the finish.
- Initial aid stations are low key: The first three stops at aid stations offer only fluids and limited food -- they aren't brunch buffets.
- Personal listening device use: We don't want you using personal listening devices on the first 16 miles of the course (and discourage them on all of the course). VHTRC Policy on use of personal listening devices.
- No pacers: You are not allowed to have anyone who is not entered in the event to accompany you on the course (i.e. no pacers).
- Time limits: There are both intermediate and overall time limits that are strictly enforced -- this is not a hike.
- No bathrooms on the course: You need to use the woods in an environmentally correct way (i.e. bury it). Your fellow runners will be using the woods also.
- Mud and High Water: Parts of the trail can be muddy if there has been rain before or on race day. Stream crossings could require fording. (See view from 2003 at right.)
Runners crossing Little Rocky Run
(about 6 miles) in 2003.
Wait List Priorities: If we need to use a lottery, the initial field will be selected randomly. Each applicant has an equal chance of being in the initial starting field. We will, however, have priorities on the wait list. Given our experience with movement off the wait list, we expect that these priorities will be of significant value. In 2008, 2009, 2010, and again in 2014 and 2015, everyone who participated in the initial entry process and stayed on the wait list was able eventually to run the event. In 2011 through 2013, however, the initial wait list was long, and some did not get off it.
Here are the priorities. (Within groups, ranking is by the random number that is assigned in the entry process. In the priority groups based on number of finishes, the sorting is first by finishes and then by random number. For example, all the people with three prior finishes will have a better priority than those with two.)
- Applicants who, on three prior occasions within the last five years, served as pre-committed volunteers at BRR on the day of the event and were not on the final entrants list for the last BRR.
- Prior overall winners of the men's or women's division of the BRR, or former BRR race directors.
- Finishers of five or more BRRs, ranked by number of finishes (23 down to 5)
- Prior Year Losers (formerly, "Two-time losers") Since no one was on the wait list at the end of the 2015 entry process who had been on it at the beginning, no one will qualify for this priority in 2016. You should understand the conditions for the priority, however, because they could apply for 2017 entry. Conditions
- All other applicants ordered by number of finishes (4 down to none)
At the end of the initial entry period, we may reopen the wait list for persons who did not apply in the initial lottery or who did, but did not complete the process in a timely manner. All people joining the list at that time will do so at the bottom, are far less likely to be able to run the event, and will not qualify for the prior loser priority in 2017.
The Bull Run Trail
Refunds: We will issue entry fee refunds to those who withdraw from the event subject to these conditions:
- The request to withdraw from the event must occur on or before the date noted in the entry schedule;
- There is someone on the wait list to fill the vacancy created by the withdrawal. (If there is no one on the wait list at the time of withdrawal, but someone joins the wait list later, we will issue refunds in the order requested); and
- We will withhold $15 from all refunds.
Here are data from 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016. We don't guarantee that history will repeat itself.
In 2014 and 2015, the maximum size of the field was 350 runners (as it will be in 2016). Since some do not pay the entry fee even if they have "won" the lottery, we allowed 400 to pay and enter. Of those 400, the first 350 were chosen by the lottery, the next 50 were from the top of the wait list. In 2015, 366 paid. We waited for withdrawals to reduce the list below 350 before we moved the first person off the wait list.
Here is data showing the flow of entry during the 2015 event.
|BRR Entrant Data|
|Applied for Lottery||502||610||601||587||481||435||444|
|Eligible to Enter||398||400||400||400||405||400||400|
|Eligible for Wait List with Priority||104||210||201||187||76||35||44|
|At Deadline to Pay|
|Paid to Join Entrants List||355||348||357||350||355||366||346|
|Joined Wait List||69||123||151||134||55||27||39|
Withdrawal Reasons: In 2012, we asked people who withdrew to pick among a list of reasons for their action. Below is what people picked. These are people who withdrew from the entrants list. We did not request this information from those withdrawing from the wait list.
|Conflict - Personal||11|
|Conflict - Work||7|
|Out of Shape||3|
|Did Not State||1|