Massanutten Mountain Trails 100 Mile Run
Updated in Light of the Fire
The MMT would not be the quality event it is without the many volunteers who have given so much to the race and the runners. This page serves two functions. It recognizes some, but unfortunately not all, of the volunteers who will be there to help the runners this year. Additionally, this page serves as a place to help recruit and organize the volunteers.
How to Volunteer: If you want to volunteer, please contact Anstr Davidson at email@example.com. If you know when you want to work -- night/day, Friday/Saturday/Sunday, particular job -- please let Anstr know. He will try to accommodate your desires.
Race Director: Stan Duobinis
Aid Station Supply: Bill Sublett
Runner Accountability: Bill Van Antwerp
Data and Results: Valerie Meyer
Course Marking: Scott Mills
Radio Support: Larry Miller
Volunteer Recruiter: Anstr Davidson
NOTE: For distances and cutoff times, see the Aid Station Chart.
|Aid Station||Opening Time||Volunteers|
(Captains in Bold)
|#1 MME Trailhead||0515||Keith Dunn|
|#2 Shawl Gap||0600||Debbie Morrin-Norlund and Eric Norlund, John Stann, Dan Pesta|
|#3 Veach Gap||0615||Mike Bur, Marcia Peters, Jaret Seiberg, Paul Newton, Mark Prescott, Quatro Hubbard|
|#4 Milford Gap||0700||Janice Heltibridle and Jean Whitman, Brian White|
|#5 Habron Gap||0800||Mel and Rob Saraniero, Jill and David Quivey, Alex and Christine Popodopoulos, Sydney Shepherd, Michael and Nathan Milaszewski, Deb Shaffer, Bob Phillips|
|#6 Camp Roosevelt||0930||Vic Culp|
|#7 Moreland I||1000||Mary Johlfs and Chris Scott, Joan Messick, Keith Dolan, Jesse Leitner, Flora Hillman, Susi Cora|
|#8 Picnic Area I||11:45||Jeff Reed, Mike McCumber, Linda Wack, Angelo Witten, Alex O'Meara, Rita Cronley, Suzie Spangler, Joseph Kilcoyne, Lorrin Harvey, Lynn Ju, Annette Grinager, Caroline Brown, Ethel Cook|
|#9 Bird Knob||1215||Carolyn Gernand, Harry Smith, Bob Ring, Heather Chartier, Chris Chartier|
|#10 Picnic Area II||Already
|Same as #8|
|#11 211E||1400||Mickey Rollins, Frank Ludwig, Carl Newby|
|#12 Picnic Area III||Already
|Same as #8|
|#13 Moreland II||Already
|Same as #7|
|#14 Edinburg Gap||1700||Anstr and Brenda Davidson, Jim Cavanaugh, Lucia Davidson, Michele Kane, Joyce Fendley|
|#15 Woodstock Tower||1830||TrailDawgs (Hunt Bartine), Katie Poole, John Shepard, Eric Levy-Myers, Margie Hughes, Bill Tyron|
|#16 Powell's Fort||1930||Margie Schlundt, Marge Burley, Mary Ann Kaiser, Jim and Rebecca Moore|
|#16 Elizabeth Furnace||2100||Janice Heltibridle and Jean Whitman, John Stann|
|Finish||2200||Bill Wandell, Dan Pesta, Mike McCumber, Bunny Runyan|
Ranch on Friday
- Bryon Powell
- Bunny Runyan
- Mike McCumber
- Linda Wack
- Tierney Dovan
Trail Marking Volunteers
- Kevin Bligan
- Carolyn Gernand
- Bill Turrentine
- Scott Crabb
- Mickey Rollins
- Sophie Speidel
- Stan Duobinis
- Margie Schlundt
- Vicki Kendall
- Paul Ralyea
- Quatro Hubbard
- Stan Spence
- Bob Gaylord
- Ryan Henry
- Mark Shaughnessy
- Keith Moore
- Joe Clapper
- Tom Trask
- Bob Phillips
- John Guendelsberger
- Larry and Marcia Peters
- Don Halke
- Tim Stanley
MMT has a great reputation for course marking due to the numerous volunteers who help hang ribbon, chem lights, and clear the course each year. If you want to have some fun, get some good training miles and help us with this important task, there are ample opportunities. Below are tasks, meeting times and additional information about this year's marking. If you would like to volunteer, please send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your desires. Please do not just show up race weekend without coordinating at least a week prior to the race:
- I will be out in the MMT valley marking a few short sections (Kern) on Thursday (5/11). If you would like to join me, I will be marking from about 10:00 am till 4:00 pm . Email to coordinate.
- We will be meeting at Skyline Ranch on Friday morning (5/12) at 8:00 am sharp to break down into crews to mark the majority of the course with yellow ribbon. Each crew will be led by an experienced trail marker. We expect to be out most of the day, so bring enough replenishment food and drink to sustain your effort.
- We will string and consolidate the chem lights into zip lock bags shortly following the pre race meal on Friday evening.
- Saturday (5/13) there are several marking and clearing opportunities. We will need crews to remove ribbons following the last runner (sweeps) , we will need help marking the night sections with chem lights, and we can use help (those who do may not want to run) transporting markers to and from different sections of the course. Ideally, we would like to assign at least two individuals to mark a section or two with chem lights. Two persons with two cars allows that crew to drop a car, mark a section and then drive back to retrieve the car at the initiation location. Since the chem lights only last about 10 hours, we need to delay marking some sections until just before dusk. The goal will be to have the 500 chem lights strung and hung by Saturday early evening.
- Sunday (5/14) will be dedicated to removing about 50 miles of remaining ribbon and chem lights. Again, we will attempt to have crews remove the marking debris following the last runner. This will start as early as 6:00 am on Sunday and last until the last ribbon is removed at the end of the course.
- Anstr will periodically update the volunteer page with marking assignments once they have been finalized.
Thank you in advance for your generous contribution of personal time to this event. Looking forward to another great weekend in the mountains.
To volunteer, please contact Scott Mills.
At the Skyline Ranch Resort
Volunteers are needed at the ranch Friday afternoon for check-in and Sunday for finish line support. The Ranch Foreman will supervise food services at the ranch.